Patient Participation Group
Badgerswood Surgery in Headley, and Forest Surgery in Bordon, are a combined Practice run by the same medical, nursing and management team. In 2010 a Patient Participation Group was set up by the Practice consisting of patients, patient relatives and friends, to act as a liaison group with the Practice. A committee was formed which meets once every 6 weeks, a constitution drawn up, and the aims of the Group decided. A poster was produced outlining the Group’s aims and this was placed in each surgery’s reception.
The main aims were:
- to assist communication between patients and the Practice, particularly asking for input and suggestions for improvements as seen from the patient’s point of view.
- to support the Practice in its strive for excellence
- to monitor the standards of the Practice and compare with other Practices’ standards locally and national
- to relay information to patients and the public on a regular basis regarding changes and improvements occurring in the Practice
- to educate the public on health matters
- to fund raise for any items that may be required for the Practice but are not funded directly by the Primary Care Trust
In the short time we have achieved a lot. We have responded to numerous ideas and suggestions. We have looked at figures comparing the practice locally, nationally and internationally (and these are impressive) and we are now involved in setting up a comparison study of patient satisfaction within the practice.
We now produce a newsletter quarterly and this is available at the reception of each surgery. As well as detailing up to date information of what is happening in the Practice, it also contains an educational article written with the help of the nursing and medical staff. We have produced articles on"Diabetes","Flu", and"Management of Acute Stroke". The distribution of the newsletter has risen exponentially with each Issue, and almost 400 copies had to be printed with the last edition!
When the electrocardiography machine in Badgerswood Surgery broke, we raised over £1800 for a new machine. At present we are fundraising for new digital baby scales for Forest Surgery.
We are now looking for"Members" to join the PPG to help us further. Forms are available at the reception desk in the Surgery or with the January Newsletter and for a small Annual Fee (£5), members can join, assist us, advise us, help us and receive the newsletter delivered directly or by Email. Any help would be appreciated. Please contact surgery reception for a form.
You can contact the Patient Participation Group by emailing email@example.com
Yvonne Parker-Smith, Chairman.